As a kid growing up I never thought once about the shoes that I wore on my feet - all that mattered was that they were stylish! The older I get & the more I educated become, the more I realize the significance of wearing a shoe that allows my feet to do what they were designed to do. Feet were meant to move freely, to feel the earth below & to provide sensory feedback to your brain. Your feet were also designed to be strong & stable as well. Unfortunately, these are all things traditional shoes have stripped from us.
When I discovered Vivobarefoot I was excited to see how my feet would transform. I’ve been wearing the Primus Lite III for over a year now - I walk, run, jump, & train in these shoes! Here are the top reasons why I love my Vivo’s.
- Traditional Shoes Destroy The Feet - 2 million years of evolution created the perfect foot & 99% of us are born with perfect feet. However, most of our feet end up being deformed due to tapered narrow shoes! Over 600,000 forefoot surgeries are performed in USA every year, 80% of women have some sort of foot deformity, & Morton’s Foot & Bunions are more prevalent than ever. Structurally, our feet haven’t changed much, but our shoe wear has. Not only do traditional shoes deform our feet, but they even make them weaker! Tapered narrow shoes give you shoe-shaped feet, which reduces stability & restricts the natural splay & recoil of toes - ultimately weakening the muscles and function overtime.
- Vivo Shoes Are Designed For The Feet - Vivo shoes have amazing features unlike any other shoe on the market. They’re designed with a wide toe box, which allows the toes to splay providing natural stability. Unlike traditional shoes, Vivo’s are foot shaped & flexible so that the feet can move freely & naturally. The thin soles provide the most sensory underfoot experience so that the feet can interact gracefully with the ground. Vivo shoes are durable & provide great grip as well.
- Stay Connected - Barefoot training & or training in a barefoot shoe can help establish & enhance the connection between your feet & brain. Did you know that the part of the brain that gets information from the feet is the same size as the part of the brain that gets information from the hands? You wouldn’t wear thick cushioned gloves all day on your hands, so why would you wear thick cushioned shoes on your feet?! Astonishingly enough, there are also around 200,000 nerves in each foot! This system is a vital sensory feedback loop connecting brains to feet & to the rest of the body. Disrupting this feedback loop by wearing cushioned shoes & not allowing the feet to interact with the ground will result in the brain getting confused. The miscommunication between the brain & feet can result in unskillful movement & injury. Spending more time barefoot or in a barefoot shoe keeps this connection active & strong, which forms the foundation for a healthy body & skillful movement.
- Strengthen Feet & Reduce Injury - A recent study by Dr. Kris D’out & PhD student Rory Curtis showed that wearing Vivobarefoot shoes for 6 months improved foot strength by 60%! Furthermore, when we strengthen our feet, the rest of the kinetic chain gets stronger. Qualities like mobility, balance, & movement are also improved. When we improve the aforementioned & strengthen the entire kinetic chain we can dramatically decrease the likelihood of injury!
- Improve Movement & Athletic Performance - The feet are arguably the most important part of the body & are often overlooked & undertrained. Strengthening the feet & realigning the toes by wearing a barefoot shoe can do wonders for improving movement & athletic performance. The big toe is one of the most important structures in the foot. Every single athletic movement, whether it be jumping, bounding, changing direction, sprinting, or running, finishes with the big toe driving into the ground. All of these movements are negatively impacted if the feet aren’t strong & the toes aren’t in proper alignment.
- Vivobarefoot Cares About You & Our Planet - Vivobarefoot is B Corp certified! B Corp stands for “Benefit Corporations”, which is a growing body of businesses dedicated to doing business in a way that has a neutral, or positive impact on humans & our planet - which I think it super cool! Vivo also uses sustainable materials like algae based foam, recycled plastics, & wild hide leather to make their products.
Interested in snagging yourself a pair of Vivobarefoot shoes? Use my discount code Bjbec & save some money!
Looking to educate yourself even more? Visit https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/
Check out this awesome video that shows the research behind Vivobarefoot!